SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Childcare - what do people genrally do?
roz

12-06-2011 07:55 PM

I think a lot of people either don't go back to work until children start school or pay out at least one of the partners earnings on childcare and do lots of financial squeezing elsewhere, and as someone said, subsidise their going back to work through savings. Our childcare bill is a part time teachers take home pay per month. There are tax credits but these are decreasing and the childcare element is minimal in comparison anyway. There is still the universal nursery grant for 3 and 4 year olds but there are few full day places in state nurseries and in private nurseries you still have to pay over and above that anyway. My partner and I are working even though we would be better off if we probably both didn't and even if one of us didn't but we want to preserve our jobs and pensions in these difficult times. We are looking forward to the day when the last of our children goes to school and we save £1400 per month!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Childcare - what do people genrally do? - roz - 12-06-2011 07:55 PM