SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Where did you live before you came to SE23?
Cellar Door

17-09-2013 01:48 PM

Hi Nomadic,

Welcome to this little part of the interweb. Excellent questions.

Nomadic wrote:
…where did you live before and why did you come here?

I was living in Perth, Western Australia.

I came to SE23 because back in 1996 I heard on the grapevine, that stretched to Australia, that there were, as mrwandle wrote above, “…less antipodeans…” here.

I’m not against Australians but I’m not one to gather with them like in an Earl’s Court or Shepherd’s Bush sort of way.

Now, I like to think of myself as the only antipodean in the village.

Also, a mate of mine, who thinks the same, had been living in Nunhead during the early 1990’s and he highly recommended this whole neck of the woods as we both came from leafy and green spots in Oz and although the vegetation is different there was something familiar. Now with the parakeets flying over squawking everyday, I just need to close my eyes and I’m transported instantly to the Australian outback!

Nomadic wrote:
If you had a choice about living in North or SW London, would you still chose SE23?

Yes, I’d most definitely choose SE23. SE23 is so leafy and green. 6 or 7 miles from London’s Glittering West End and I feel like I am living in the country side.

I often say I’m going to London when I mean the West End! It is only 30 minutes or so via Overground and Jube Tube.

Then when I return and step off the train at Platform 2 and walk up the hill I can hear birds and see squirrels and foxes. It’s like stepping into an animated Disney movie like Snow White sometimes. The sirens wailing around the South Circular do keep my Disney fantasy in check. Thank goodness.

Nomadic wrote:
…if you could change one thing about SE23, what would it be?

I’d love The Capitol to be turned back into an old fashioned cinema playing upto the aspect of its early 20th Century aesthetic. I think it’d be a major tourist destination if it was done well.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Where did you live before you came to SE23? - Cellar Door - 17-09-2013 01:48 PM