SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   73,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
Canvas & Cream  Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Big Issue seller outside Sainsbury's
Taffhamster

19-03-2008 03:14 PM

But seriously, folks?

I haven?t found using this forum to be the constructive experience I was hoping for. Rightly or wrongly, I was getting hacked off by the Big Issue sellers situation and felt it was escalating. My first thought was to contact Big Issue HQ, in the hope that things could be sorted out for the benefit of all, with the vendors treated fairly and sympathetically. But, as a long-term supporter of the magazine, I felt uneasy even about this.

This is why I visited the forum ? to find out how other FH people felt and to get different perspectives and additional facts, maybe even feedback from someone who had already contacted the Big Issue.

I didn?t want to cause offence and I feel I made an effort to be fair (seemingly I failed). I tried to check that any criticisms I made were based on the Big Issue Vendors? Code Of Conduct. To make it clear that, in general, I was pro-Big Issue and pro-vendors. And that it was purely about behaviour not anything personal.

Along with other posters, I wasn?t saying the sellers should be removed (or ?sent to the wolves?), just that they should be asked to tone down their approach to comply with Big Issue rules.

And yet, it seemed that anybody expressing the slightest concern or misgivings was often met with OTT, scatter-gun criticism. Dismissive, flippant, sarcastic comments. Unfounded accusations of hatred, bigotry and obsession. Comments that seemed (wilfully?) to misunderstand or ignore points being made, and ?responses? from people who didn?t appear to have read the original post properly if at all. Refusal to consider a ?middle ground? view with compromise on both sides, or arguments which lacked logic. (Granted, I felt some comments I read against the vendors were overly harsh and deserved a strong reply, but many responses seemed disproportionate.)

I wasn?t looking for my own opinions to be vindicated, just for constructive, well-considered feedback. Suggestions for the best possible action for all concerned.

Disagree with me by all means, that's what a forum is for. Prove I'm wrong by way of a calm and reasoned argument and I'll admit I am! I'll even apologise if it?s appropriate. But don't just lay into users. Attempts at smarter-than-thou acid wit are not the way to win people over to your point of view. If you?re convinced your opinions are the right ones, express them in a way that does them justice. (Thanks, by the way, to everyone who did make helpful comments. Much appreciated.)

OK, nevermodern, bigbadwolf and friends, you win. I?ll exit the board pursued by the baying squirrels of (self-?)righteousness, clutching my pitchfork and flaming torch (or, failing that, Shannons hoe and BBQ flare). I may return to discuss vital issues, like which local gastropub does the best pommes dauphinoises. But probably not.

Sad

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Big Issue seller outside Sainsbury's - Taffhamster - 19-03-2008 03:14 PM

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Big Issue seller outside Sainsbury's Herbparis 81 88,474 27-01-2011 11:35 AM
Last Post: Dillwihs